Direct Bible References
Extra direct Bible references which expands or explain the same commandment.
- Joshua 1:9 Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest. (Author: 'HEERE')
- 1 Chronicles 19:13 Be of good courage, and let us behave ourselves valiantly for our people, and for the cities of our God: and let the LORD do that which is good in his sight. (Author: 'Joab')
- 1 Chronicles 22:11-13 Now, my son, the LORD be with thee; and prosper thou, and build the house of the LORD thy God, as he hath said of thee. Only the LORD give thee wisdom and understanding, and give thee charge concerning Israel, that thou mayest keep the law of the LORD thy God. Then shalt thou prosper, if thou takest heed to fulfil the statutes and judgments which the LORD charged Moses with concerning Israel: be strong, and of good courage; dread not, nor be dismayed. (Author: 'David')
- 1 Chronicles 28:20 And David said to Solomon his son, Be strong and of good courage, and do it: fear not, nor be dismayed: for the LORD God, even my God, will be with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee, until thou hast finished all the work for the service of the house of the LORD. (Author: 'David')
- 2 Chronicles 15:7 Be ye strong therefore, and let not your hands be weak: for your work shall be rewarded. (Author: 'Azariah')
- John 12:15 Fear not, daughter of Sion: behold, thy King cometh, sitting on an ass’s colt. (Author: 'Jesus')
- John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. (Author: 'Jesus')
- Romans 8:38-39 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Author: 'Paul')
Indirect Bible References
Extra, more indirect Bible references, relating to the same commandment.
- Jeremiah 1:8 Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the LORD. (Author: 'HEERE')
- Matthew 9:22 But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole. And the woman was made whole from that hour. (Author: 'Jesus')
- Matthew 10:31 Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows. (Author: 'Jesus')
- Matthew 14:27 But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid. (Author: 'Jesus')
- Luke 12:4 And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. (Author: 'Jesus')
- Luke 18:1-8 And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint; Saying, There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man: And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of mine adversary. And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man; Yet because this widow troubleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me. And the Lord said, Hear what the unjust judge saith. And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them? I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth? (Author: 'Jesus')
Example Bible References
In these Bible references you will find examples and testimonies how this commandment was being executed.
Please click on the Bible Reference to show its corresponding text.
- 1 Samuel 14:6
And Jonathan said to the young man that bare his armour, Come, and let us go over unto the garrison of these uncircumcised: it may be that the LORD will work for us: for there is no restraint to the LORD to save by many or by few. (Author: 'Jonathan')
- 2 Kings 6:14-17
Therefore sent he thither horses, and chariots, and a great host: and they came by night, and compassed the city about. And when the servant of the man of God was risen early, and gone forth, behold, an host compassed the city both with horses and chariots. And his servant said unto him, Alas, my master! how shall we do? And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them. And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha. (Author: 'Elisha')
- 1 Chronicles 26:6-12
Also unto Shemaiah his son were sons born, that ruled throughout the house of their father: for they were mighty men of valour. The sons of Shemaiah; Othni, and Rephael, and Obed, Elzabad, whose brethren were strong men, Elihu, and Semachiah. All these of the sons of Obed-edom: they and their sons and their brethren, able men for strength for the service, were threescore and two of Obed-edom. And Meshelemiah had sons and brethren, strong men, eighteen. Also Hosah, of the children of Merari, had sons; Simri the chief, (for though he was not the firstborn, yet his father made him the chief;) Hilkiah the second, Tebaliah the third, Zechariah the fourth: all the sons and brethren of Hosah were thirteen. Among these were the divisions of the porters, even among the chief men, having wards one against another, to minister in the house of the LORD. (Author: 'Undetermined')
- 1 Chronicles 26:30-32
And of the Hebronites, Hashabiah and his brethren, men of valour, a thousand and seven hundred, were officers among them of Israel on this side Jordan westward in all the business of the LORD, and in the service of the king. Among the Hebronites was Jerijah the chief, even among the Hebronites, according to the generations of his fathers. In the fortieth year of the reign of David they were sought for, and there were found among them mighty men of valour at Jazer of Gilead. And his brethren, men of valour, were two thousand and seven hundred chief fathers, whom king David made rulers over the Reubenites, the Gadites, and the half tribe of Manasseh, for every matter pertaining to God, and affairs of the king. (Author: 'Undetermined')
- 2 Chronicles 32:7-8
Be strong and courageous, be not afraid nor dismayed for the king of Assyria, nor for all the multitude that is with him: for there be more with us than with him: With him is an arm of flesh; but with us is the LORD our God to help us, and to fight our battles. And the people rested themselves upon the words of Hezekiah king of Judah. (Author: 'Hezekiah')
Wisdom Bible References
Wisdom Bible references will relate to one of the Wisdom Literare Books from the Old Testament.
Please click on the Bible Reference to show its corresponding text.
- Proverbs 1:33
But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil. (Author: 'Solomon')
Bible verses copyright:
PUBLIC DOMAIN except in the United Kingdom, where a Crown Copyright applies to printing the KJV. See http://www.cambridge.org/about-us/who-we-are/queens-printers-patent
Click here to see the explanation of the different symbols, Author, OT Law etc.
- A related Bible reference to the commandment which is negative, something you should not do
- A related Bible reference to the commandment which is both positive and negative
- A related Bible reference to the commandment which is positive, something you should do or learn from
- A related Bible reference to the commandment which is not yet determined positive or negative
- Author: Indicates the known author from this Bible reference
- OT Law nr: Jewish tradition teached that there are 613 commandments or mitzvot in the Torah. We list the Number, based on a chronological order (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numeri, Deuteronomium).
- Rambam Title: This is the commandment, as an interpretation of Rambam (commonly known as Maimonides)
- Rambam Coding: The coding refers to the commandments layout of Rambam. Rabbi Chafetz Chayim wrote a book with all the commandments which can still be observed today. The book is called 'The Concise Book of Mitzvoth'
- CCA means a positive mitzwe (which can now also be carried out outside of Israel).
- CCN is the negative mitzwe (which can now also be carried out outside of Israel).
- CCI means that this mitzvah can only be performed in the State of Israel.
Who came up with this "613 Mitzvot"?
Rabbi Moshe ben Maimon, His full name was Rabbi Moses Ben Maimon. His name formed the acronym as "The Rambam" was born on the 14th of Nisan 4895 (30th March 1135) and he died on the 20th of Tevet of 4965 (Dec. 13 1204). The Rambam was one of the most saught after individuals of his time. Not only as a Halachic authority, but also within the secular world of kings and sultans, for his vast knowledge of secular medecines was outstanding. When writting the Mishna Torah, Ramban reviewed the Torah's Mitzvot, and he itemized them. He seperated the positive and negative mitzvot, listed them, all 613, and discussed them.