Direct Bible References
Extra direct Bible references which expands or explain the same commandment.
- Matthew 10:32-33 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. (Author: 'Jesus')
- Matthew 13:20-21 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it; Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended. (Author: 'Jesus')
- Luke 9:26 For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father’s, and of the holy angels. (Author: 'Jesus')
- 2 Timothy 1:8 Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God; (Author: 'Paul')
- 1 John 2:23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also. (Author: 'Jesus')
Indirect Bible References
Extra, more indirect Bible references, relating to the same commandment.
- Mark 8:38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels. (Author: 'Jesus')
- John 15:18-16:4 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also. But all these things will they do unto you for my name’s sake, because they know not him that sent me. If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin. He that hateth me hateth my Father also. If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father. But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause. But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning. These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended. They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service. And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me. But these things have I told you, that when the time shall come, ye may remember that I told you of them. And these things I said not unto you at the beginning, because I was with you. (Author: 'Jesus')
Example Bible References
In these Bible references you will find examples and testimonies how this commandment was being executed.
Please click on the Bible Reference to show its corresponding text.
- 2 Samuel 6:16-21
And as the ark of the LORD came into the city of David, Michal Saul’s daughter looked through a window, and saw king David leaping and dancing before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart. ¶ And they brought in the ark of the LORD, and set it in his place, in the midst of the tabernacle that David had pitched for it: and David offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before the LORD. And as soon as David had made an end of offering burnt offerings and peace offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the LORD of hosts. And he dealt among all the people, even among the whole multitude of Israel, as well to the women as men, to every one a cake of bread, and a good piece of flesh, and a flagon of wine. So all the people departed every one to his house. ¶ Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, How glorious was the king of Israel to day, who uncovered himself to day in the eyes of the handmaids of his servants, as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovereth himself! And David said unto Michal, It was before the LORD, which chose me before thy father, and before all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel: therefore will I play before the LORD. (Author: 'David')
- Micah 3:8
¶ But truly I am full of power by the spirit of the LORD, and of judgment, and of might, to declare unto Jacob his transgression, and to Israel his sin. (Author: 'Micah')
Duplicate Bible References
Another Bible reference to more or less the same as the primary, direct or indirect, with not much new information, although it will confirm the same Bible references:
Please click on the Bible Reference to show its corresponding text.
- Luke 7:23
And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me. (Author: 'Jesus')
- Luke 12:8-9
Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God: But he that denieth me before men shall be denied before the angels of God. (Author: 'Jesus')
Bible verses copyright:
PUBLIC DOMAIN except in the United Kingdom, where a Crown Copyright applies to printing the KJV. See http://www.cambridge.org/about-us/who-we-are/queens-printers-patent
Click here to see the explanation of the different symbols, Author, OT Law etc.
- A related Bible reference to the commandment which is negative, something you should not do
- A related Bible reference to the commandment which is both positive and negative
- A related Bible reference to the commandment which is positive, something you should do or learn from
- A related Bible reference to the commandment which is not yet determined positive or negative
- Author: Indicates the known author from this Bible reference
- OT Law nr: Jewish tradition teached that there are 613 commandments or mitzvot in the Torah. We list the Number, based on a chronological order (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numeri, Deuteronomium).
- Rambam Title: This is the commandment, as an interpretation of Rambam (commonly known as Maimonides)
- Rambam Coding: The coding refers to the commandments layout of Rambam. Rabbi Chafetz Chayim wrote a book with all the commandments which can still be observed today. The book is called 'The Concise Book of Mitzvoth'
- CCA means a positive mitzwe (which can now also be carried out outside of Israel).
- CCN is the negative mitzwe (which can now also be carried out outside of Israel).
- CCI means that this mitzvah can only be performed in the State of Israel.
Who came up with this "613 Mitzvot"?
Rabbi Moshe ben Maimon, His full name was Rabbi Moses Ben Maimon. His name formed the acronym as "The Rambam" was born on the 14th of Nisan 4895 (30th March 1135) and he died on the 20th of Tevet of 4965 (Dec. 13 1204). The Rambam was one of the most saught after individuals of his time. Not only as a Halachic authority, but also within the secular world of kings and sultans, for his vast knowledge of secular medecines was outstanding. When writting the Mishna Torah, Ramban reviewed the Torah's Mitzvot, and he itemized them. He seperated the positive and negative mitzvot, listed them, all 613, and discussed them.